Chevrolet Colorado crew cab2004-12 models
results also apply to: 2004-12 GMC Canyon crew cab | 2006-08 Isuzu i-series
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon were introduced in the 2004 model year as replacements for the Chevrolet S-10 and GMC Sonoma. The Isuzu i-series pickup was introduced in the 2006 model year and discontinued after the 2008 model year.
During the crash, intrusion by the tire and wheel into the driver footwell area combined with separation of the footwell from the rocker panel and door sill caused the dummy's left foot to be trapped underneath the brake pedal. The pedal had to be cut off to free the foot. This entrapment resulted in a structure rating downgrade from acceptable to marginal.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Movement of the upper part of the dummy was well controlled. After the dummy moved forward into the airbag, it rebounded into the seat without its head coming close to any stiff structure that could cause injury.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the head, neck, and chest indicate low risk of injuries to these body regions in a crash of this severity. Forces on the left tibia indicate that injuries to the lower leg would be possible.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the frontal offset crash test.
- The dummy's position in relation to the steering wheel and instrument panel after the crash test, together with the footwell intrusion, indicate that the driver's survival space wasn't maintained well.
- Dummy movement was well controlled. During rebound, the dummy's head hit only the head restraint, as indicated by smeared greasepaint.
- Intrusion by the tire into the footwell area caused separation of the floor, which trapped the dummy's left foot under the brake pedal.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags (standard beginning with 2010 models, optional in 2004-09 Colorado and Canyon models, standard in 2006-08 i-series crew cab models)
- Electronic stability control, includes roll stability control (beginning with 2009 models)
- Antilock brakes
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2008 Chevrolet Chevrolet Colorado LT (2wd crew cab)
- Class: Small pickup
- Weight: 3,752 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 126 in.
- Length: 207 in.
- Width: 68 in.
- Engine: 2.9 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 18 mpg city | 24 mpg highway