Chevrolet Equinox2005-08 models
results also apply to: 2006-08 Pontiac Torrent
SIDE IMPACT TEST WITHOUT OPTIONAL SIDE AIRBAGS
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Chevrolet Equinox was introduced in the 2005 model year, and the Pontiac Torrent was introduced in the 2006 model year. Beginning with 2009 models, all Equinox and Torrent models have standard side airbags.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that serious neck injuries and a fracture of the pelvis would be possible in a crash of this severity.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy's head was hit by the intruding barrier. This impact did not produce high head injury measures, but head hits with intruding objects such as other vehicles, trees, and poles should be prevented.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was hit by the window frame of the rear passenger door and the pillar behind the door. This impact did not produce high head injury measures, but the head protection is inadequate.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing damage to the occupant compartment.
- Smeared red greasepaint indicates where the driver dummy's head was hit by the barrier.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy's head was hit by the rear window frame and the pillar behind the passenger door.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags (standard beginning with 2009 models, optional in 2006-08 models)
- Rollover sensor: designed to deploy the side curtain airbags, if equipped, in the event of an impending rollover (beginning with 2007 models)
- Electronic stability control (beginning with 2007 models)
- Antilock brakes
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2008 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4wd
- Class: Small SUV
- Weight: 3,821 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 113 in.
- Length: 189 in.
- Width: 71 in.
- Engine: 3.4 L V6
- EPA ratings: 17 mpg city | 24 mpg highway