Ford Ranger regular cab1998-2011 models
results also apply to: 1998-2009 Mazda B Series regular cab
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Ford Ranger and Mazda B Series were redesigned for the 1998 model year. The Mazda B Series was discontinued after the 2009 model year.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement was reasonably well controlled. After the dummy moved forward into the airbag, its head moved toward the window frame as buckling of the floor tilted the driver seat forward and toward the door.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the head, neck, and chest indicate low risk of injuries to these body regions in a crash of this severity. Forces on the right tibia indicate that injuries to the lower leg would be possible.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the frontal offset crash test.
- Post-crash damage shot.
- The seat tilted forward and toward the driver door during the offset test, and intrusion into the driver footwell contributed to high forces on the right leg.
- Side airbags: front seat-mounted combination head and torso airbags (beginning with 2010 models)
- Electronic stability control (beginning with 2010 models)
- Antilock brakes (standard beginning with 2001 models; optional on 1999-2000 models). Note: rear-wheel antilock brakes standard on 1999-2000 models.
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 1998 Ford Ranger XLT (2wd regular cab)
- Class: Small pickup
- Weight: 3,153 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 112 in.
- Length: 188 in.
- Width: 70 in.
- Engine: 3.0 L V6
- EPA ratings: 17 mpg city | 22 mpg highway