Pontiac G62007 models
SIDE IMPACT TEST WITH STANDARD AND ADDITIONAL OPTIONAL SIDE AIRBAGS
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Pontiac G6 was introduced in the 2005 model year. Beginning with 2006 models manufactured after June 2005, changes were made to the side torso airbags and front and rear door trim panels to improve occupant protection in side impact crashes. Beginning with 2007 models, side curtain airbags became standard, but side torso airbags remained optional. Beginning with 2008 models, the side torso airbags also became standard.
Two tests of a 2006 G6 were conducted, one with optional side curtain and side torso airbags for the driver and rear passenger, and one without any side airbags. Both cars were manufactured after all design changes for 2006 had been made. These vehicles are rated separately, except that the structural ratings for both vehicles are based on both tests.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries would be possible in a crash of this severity. The risk of significant injuries to other body regions is low.
Driver — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the side airbags and damage to the occupant compartment.
- Action shot taken during the side impact crash test showing the driver dummy's head was protected from being hit by hard structures by the side curtain airbag.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy’s head was protected by the side airbag.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags (standard beginning with 2007 models, optional in 2005-06 models) and front seat-mounted torso airbags (standard beginning with 2008 models, optional in 2005-07 models)
- Electronic stability control (optional)
- Antilock brakes (standard beginning with 2008 models, optional on 2005-07 models)
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2006 Pontiac G6 4-door
- Class: Midsize moderately priced car
- Weight: 3,435 lbs.
- Side airbags: optional front and rear head curtain airbags and optional front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 112 in.
- Length: 189 in.
- Width: 71 in.
- Engine: 3.5 L V6
- EPA ratings: 22 mpg city | 32 mpg highway