Ford Explorer2008-10 models
results also apply to: 2007-10 Mercury Mountaineer
SIDE IMPACT TEST
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Ford Explorer and Mercury Mountaineer were re-engineered for the 2006 model year. All 2006-10 models have standard side torso airbags; beginning with 2007 Mountaineer and 2008 Explorer models, head curtain airbags were also made standard.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that a fracture of the pelvis would be possible in a crash of this severity. The risk of significant injuries to other body regions is low.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof and a side airbag that deployed from the seat.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the side airbags and damage to the occupant compartment.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the driver dummy's head was protected from being hit by hard structures by the side airbags.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy’s head was protected by the side airbag.
- Side airbags: front seat-mounted torso airbags (standard) and front and second row head curtain airbags (standard in 2007-10 Mountaineer and 2008-10 Explorer models, optional in earlier models)
- Rollover sensor: designed to deploy the side curtain airbags, if equipped, in the event of an impending rollover
- Electronic stability control; includes roll stability control to minimize the possibility of rollover
- Antilock brakes
- Daytime running lights (optional on vehicles sold to fleets)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2007 Ford Explorer XLT 4wd
- Class: Midsize SUV
- Weight: 4,775 lbs.
- Side airbags: standard front seat-mounted torso airbags and optional front and rear head curtain airbags
- Wheelbase: 114 in.
- Length: 193 in.
- Width: 74 in.
- Engine: 4.0 L V6
- EPA ratings: 15 mpg city | 20 mpg highway