Ford Mustang convertible2008-09 models
SIDE IMPACT TEST
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Ford Mustang was redesigned for the 2005 model year. Beginning with 2007 models manufactured after January 2007, the optional side airbags were modified to improve occupant protection in side impact crashes (note: information about when a specific vehicle was manufactured is on the certification label typically affixed to the car on or near the driver door). Beginning with 2008 models, the side airbags were made standard.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures would be possible in a crash of this severity. The risk of significant injuries to other body regions is low.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side airbag that deployed from the seat.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was hit by the interior side trim and convertible boot (cover for the folded roof). These impacts did not produce high head injury measures, but the head protection is inadequate.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with door removed, showing the side airbag and damage to the occupant compartment.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the driver dummy's head was protected from being hit by hard structures by the side airbag.
- Smeared red and yellow greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy’s head was hit by the interior side trim.
- Side airbags: front seat-mounted combination head and torso airbags (standard in 2008-09 models, optional in 2005-07 models)
- Antilock brakes (optional)
- Daytime running lights (optional on models sold to fleets)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2007 Ford Mustang GT convertible
- Class: Midsize convertible
- Weight: 3,721 lbs.
- Side airbags: optional front seat-mounted combination head and torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 107 in.
- Length: 188 in.
- Width: 74 in.
- Engine: 4.6 L V8
- EPA ratings: 17 mpg city | 23 mpg highway