Nissan Frontier2005-09 models
SIDE IMPACT TEST WITHOUT OPTIONAL SIDE AIRBAGS
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Nissan Frontier was redesigned for the 2005 model year and is significantly larger and heavier than previous models. The otherwise similar Suzuki Equator was introduced in the 2009 model year, but these ratings do not apply to the Equator because it has standard side airbags. Structure ratings are based on this test and on a later test of a 2010 Frontier model with side airbags.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries would be likely in a crash of this severity. The risk of significant injuries to other body regions is low.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy's head was hit by its left arm stub. This impact did not produce high injury measures, but the head protection is inadequate.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was hit by the pillar behind the rear passenger door and the window glass of the rear door. These impacts did not produce high head injury measures, but the head protection is inadequate.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the damage to the occupant compartment.
- Smeared yellow greasepaint shows where the driver dummy's head was hit by the arm stub.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy's head was hit by the pillar behind the rear door and the window glass.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags with front seat-mounted torso airbags (optional)
- Rollover sensor: designed to deploy the side curtain airbags, if equipped, in the event of an impending rollover
- Electronic stability control (optional on 4-wheel-drive models only)
- Antilock brakes
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2008 Nissan Frontier LE (2wd Crew Cab)
- Class: Small pickup
- Weight: 4,246 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 126 in.
- Length: 206 in.
- Width: 73 in.
- Engine: 4.0 L V6
- EPA ratings: 15 mpg city | 20 mpg highway