Toyota Tacoma2005-08 models
SIDE IMPACT TEST WITH OPTIONAL SIDE AIRBAGS
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Toyota Tacoma was redesigned for the 2005 model year. Side airbags became standard in all models beginning with the 2009 model year (they had been optional in Double Cab models in 2005-08).
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that a fracture of the pelvis would be possible in a crash of this severity. The risk of significant injuries to other body regions is low.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy’s head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof and a side airbag that deployed from the seat.
Rear passenger — The dummy’s head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the side airbags and damage to the occupant compartment.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the driver dummy's head was protected from being hit by hard structures by the side airbags.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy’s head was protected by the side airbag.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags and front seat-mounted torso airbags (standard beginning with all 2009 models, optional in 2005-08 crew cab models only)
- Rollover sensor: designed to deploy the side curtain airbags, if equipped, in the event of an impending rollover (beginning with 2008 models)
- Electronic stability control (standard beginning with 2009 models, optional on 2005-08 models)
- Antilock brakes
- Daytime running lights (optional)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner (2wd Double Cab)
- Class: Small pickup
- Weight: 3,960 lbs.
- Side airbags: optional front and rear head curtain airbags and optional front seat-mounted side torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 128 in.
- Length: 208 in.
- Width: 75 in.
- Engine: 4.0 L V6
- EPA ratings: 16 mpg city | 20 mpg highway