Chevrolet Colorado crew cab2004-09 models
results also apply to: 2004-09 GMC Canyon crew cab
SIDE IMPACT TEST WITHOUT OPTIONAL SIDE AIRBAGS
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon were introduced in the 2004 model year as replacements for the Chevrolet S-10 and GMC Sonoma.
The side impact crash test ratings do not apply to the Isuzu i-series pickup, which was introduced in the 2006 model year, because crew cab models have standard side airbags. The i-series was discontinued after the 2008 model year.
Structure ratings are based on this test and on a later test of a 2010 Colorado model with side airbags.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries plus a fracture of the pelvis would be likely in a crash of this severity. Serious neck injuries would also be possible, and loading to the shoulder was excessive.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures would be possible in a crash of this severity. In addition, loading to the shoulder was excessive.
Driver — The dummy's head was hit by the intruding barrier. This impact did not produce high head injury measures, but head hits with intruding objects such as other vehicles, trees, and poles should be prevented.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was hit by the pillar behind the rear passenger door. This impact did not produce high head injury measures, but the head was not prevented from continuing to move outward and downward toward the window sill of the rear door. This indicates that only slightly different crash circumstances could produce a direct hit to a person's head from objects outside the vehicle.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the damage to the occupant compartment.
- A noticeable dent and smeared greasepaint indicate where the driver dummy's head was hit by the barrier.
- Smeared green greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy's head was hit by the pillar behind the rear passenger door.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags (optional in 2004-09 Colorado and Canyon models, standard in 2006-08 i-series crew cab models)
- Electronic stability control, includes roll stability control (beginning with 2009 models)
- Antilock brakes
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2008 Chevrolet Chevrolet Colorado LT (2wd crew cab)
- Class: Small pickup
- Weight: 3,783 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 126 in.
- Length: 207 in.
- Width: 68 in.
- Engine: 3.7 L 5-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 16 mpg city | 22 mpg highway