Kia Optima2006-10 models built after June 2006
SIDE IMPACT TEST
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Kia Optima was redesigned during the 2006 model year. It no longer shares its body structure with the Hyundai Sonata, which was also redesigned for 2006.
Beginning with 2006 models manufactured after June 2006, design changes were made to the rear door structure and trim to improve occupant protection in side impact crashes (note: information about when a specific vehicle was manufactured is on the certification label typically affixed to the car on or near the driver door).
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that a fracture of the pelvis would be possible in a crash of this severity. The risk of significant injuries to other body regions is low.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy’s head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Rear passenger — The dummy’s head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the side airbags and damage to the occupant compartment.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the driver dummy's head was protected from being hit by hard structures by the side curtain airbag.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy’s head was protected by the side airbag.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags and front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Electronic stability control (standard on 2010 models, optional on 2006-09 models manufactured after September 2005)
- Antilock brakes (standard on 2010 models, optional on 2006-09 models)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2008 Kia Optima LX 4-door
- Class: Midsize moderately priced car
- Weight: 3,230 lbs.
- Side airbags: standard front and rear head curtain airbags and standard front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 107 in.
- Length: 186 in.
- Width: 71 in.
- Engine: 2.4 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 21 mpg city | 31 mpg highway