Volkswagen Passat1998-2005 models
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Volkswagen Passat was redesigned for the 1998 model year.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement was reasonably well controlled. After the dummy moved forward into the airbag, its head moved toward the window sill as floor deformation tipped the driver seat toward the door.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the frontal offset crash test.
- Despite some bending of the roof rail, the driver's survival space was maintained well.
- A button on the side of the head restraint is for locking in position after the restraint has been adjusted upward. This design improvement was introduced during the 1998 model year. Still, the head restraint is marginal.
- Minimal damage occurred in the most demanding bumper test, a 5 mph rear-into-pole impact.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags and front seat-mounted torso airbags (2001-05 models)
- Side airbags: front seat-mounted torso airbags (1998-2000 models)
- Electronic stability control (optional, 2003-05 models)
- Antilock brakes
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 1998 Volkswagen Passat GLS 4-door
- Class: Midsize moderately priced car
- Weight: 3,170 lbs.
- Side airbags: front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 106 in.
- Length: 184 in.
- Width: 68 in.
- Engine: 1.8 L turbocharged 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 21 mpg city | 31 mpg highway