Honda Accord 4-door1998-2002 models
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Honda Accord was redesigned for the 1998 model year.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement was well controlled. After the dummy moved forward into the airbag, it rebounded into the seat without its head coming close to any stiff structure that could cause injury.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the head, neck, and chest indicate low risk of injuries to these body regions in a crash of this severity. Forces on the right tibia indicate that injuries to the lower leg would be likely.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the frontal offset crash test.
- The dummy's position in relation to the steering wheel and instrument panel after the crash test indicates that the driver's survival space was maintained reasonably well.
- Intrusion into the driver footwell area contributed to high injury measures on the dummy's right leg, indicating the likelihood of injury.
- A strong safety cage helped keep the tire out of the driver footwell area.
- Side airbags: front seat-mounted torso airbags (optional, beginning with 2000 models).
- Antilock brakes (optional)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 1998 Honda Accord LX 4-door
- Class: Midsize moderately priced car
- Weight: 3,047 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 107 in.
- Length: 189 in.
- Width: 70 in.
- Engine: 2.3 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 23 mpg city | 30 mpg highway