Kia Sorento2003-09 models
SIDE IMPACT TEST
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Kia Sorento was introduced in the 2003 model year. Although engineering changes were made to improve frontal crashworthiness beginning with 2007 models, these changes were not expected to affect side-impact performance.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that a fracture of the pelvis would be likely in a crash of this severity, and rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries would be possible. In addition, loading to the shoulder was excessive.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was contained within the vehicle by the pillar behind the rear passenger door and was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the side airbag and damage to the occupant compartment.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the driver dummy's head was protected from being hit by hard structures by the side curtain airbag.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy’s head was protected by the side airbag.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags
- Driver knee airbag: a separate airbag in the lower instrument panel designed to minimize knee injuries in frontal crashes (beginning with 2007 models)
- Electronic stability control, includes roll stability control (beginning with 2007 models)
- Antilock brakes (standard beginning with 2007 models, optional on 2003-06 models)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2008 Kia Sorento LX 4wd
- Class: Midsize SUV
- Weight: 4,325 lbs.
- Side airbags: standard front and rear head curtain airbags
- Wheelbase: 107 in.
- Length: 181 in.
- Width: 73 in.
- Engine: 3.3 L V6
- EPA ratings: 15 mpg city | 22 mpg highway