Jeep Wrangler 4-door2007-13 models
SIDE IMPACT TEST WITHOUT OPTIONAL SIDE AIRBAGS
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Jeep Wrangler was redesigned for the 2007 model year, and a larger, heavier 4-door model was added for the first time.
During the crash, the driver door opened. This opening didn't significantly affect dummy movement during the test but shouldn't happen because, in some crashes, it could allow partial or complete occupant ejection, especially if the occupant is unbelted. This door opening resulted in a structure rating downgrade from good to acceptable.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries would be likely in a crash of this severity. The risk of significant injuries to other body regions is low.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — Although the intruding barrier did not hit the dummy's head in this test, the head was not protected from contacts outside the vehicle. This indicates that only slightly different crash circumstances could produce a direct hit to a person's head.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was hit primarily by the window frame of the rear passenger door. This impact did not produce high head injury measures, but the head protection is inadequate.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash showing the open driver door after the barrier was moved away.
- Action shot taken during the side impact crash test showing the driver dummy's head leaning well outward and approaching the window sill. The broken glass is from the window of the driver door.
- Smeared red greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy's head was hit by the rear door window frame.
- Side airbags: front seat-mounted combination head and torso airbags (optional)
- Electronic stability control, includes roll stability control
- Antilock brakes
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4-door 4wd
- Class: Midsize SUV
- Weight: 4,365 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 116 in.
- Length: 183 in.
- Width: 74 in.
- Engine: 3.8 L V6
- EPA ratings: 15 mpg city | 19 mpg highway