Nissan Maxima1997-99 models
results also apply to: 1997-99 Infiniti I30
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Nissan Maxima was redesigned for the 1995 model year and the Infiniti I30 was introduced in the 1996 model year. Both were structurally modified for 1997 to improve performance in frontal offset crashes.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement was reasonably well controlled. During rebound, the dummy's head hit the upper anchorage of the shoulder belt on the B-pillar. There was too much upward movement of the steering wheel.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the head, neck, and chest indicate low risk of injuries to these body regions in a crash of this severity. Forces on the left tibia indicate that injuries to the lower leg would be possible. Forces on the right knee and right tibia indicate that injuries to the knee and lower leg would be possible. Head acceleration from the B-pillar hit was low.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the frontal offset crash test.
- The dummy's position in relation to the steering wheel and instrument panel after the crash test indicates that the driver's survival space was maintained reasonably well.
- Intrusion into the footwell area contributed to the possibility of lower leg injury.
- Rear bumpers on 1995-96 models allowed more than $2,000 damage in a 5 mph pole impact (left). Bumpers on 1997-99s are much improved. They allowed little damage in the same test (right).
- Side airbags: front seat-mounted torso airbags (optional on 1998-99 Maxima models, standard on 1998-99 I30 models)
- Antilock brakes (optional on Maxima, standard on I30)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 1998 Nissan Maxima GXE 4-door
- Class: Midsize moderately priced car
- Weight: 3,012 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 106 in.
- Length: 189 in.
- Width: 70 in.
- Engine: 3.0 L V6
- EPA ratings: 21 mpg city | 28 mpg highway