BMW X32004-10 models
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The BMW X3 was introduced in the 2004 model year.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement was well controlled. After the dummy moved forward into the frontal airbag, its head contacted the side curtain airbag, which had deployed during the crash.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the frontal offset crash test.
- The dummy's position in relation to the steering wheel and instrument panel after the crash test indicates that the driver's survival space was maintained very well.
- Smeared greasepaint indicates where the dummy's head brushed across the side curtain airbag during rebound.
- Intrusion into the driver's space was minimal, and all leg and foot injury measures were low.
- Front and rear head curtain airbags and front door-mounted torso airbags (standard) and rear door-mounted torso airbags (optional)
- Rollover sensor: designed to deploy the side curtain airbags in the event of an impending rollover (2008-10 models)
- Electronic stability control; includes roll stability control to minimize the possibility of rollover
- Antilock brakes
- Programmable daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2008 BMW X3 3.0si 4wd
- Class: Midsize luxury SUV
- Weight: 4,043 lbs.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags and front door-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 110 in.
- Length: 180 in.
- Width: 73 in.
- Engine: 3.0 L 6-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 17 mpg city | 24 mpg highway