BMW X32008-10 models
SIDE IMPACT TEST
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The BMW X3 was introduced in the 2004 model year. Beginning with 2008 models, changes were made to the front torso airbags and the front and rear door trim panels to improve occupant protection in side impact crashes.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof and a side airbag that deployed from the door.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the side curtain airbag and damage to the occupant compartment.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the driver dummy's head was protected from being hit by hard structures by the side airbags.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy’s head was protected by the side airbag.
- Front and rear head curtain airbags and front door-mounted torso airbags (standard) and rear door-mounted torso airbags (optional)
- Rollover sensor: designed to deploy the side curtain airbags in the event of an impending rollover (2008-10 models)
- Electronic stability control; includes roll stability control to minimize the possibility of rollover
- Antilock brakes
- Programmable daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2008 BMW X3 3.0si 4wd
- Class: Midsize luxury SUV
- Weight: 4,054 lbs.
- Side airbags: standard front and rear head curtain airbags and standard front door-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 110 in.
- Length: 180 in.
- Width: 73 in.
- Engine: 3.0 L 6-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 17 mpg city | 24 mpg highway