Nissan Xterra2009-12 models
SIDE IMPACT TEST
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Nissan Xterra was redesigned for the 2005 model year. Beginning with 2009 models, side airbags were made standard.
Two tests of a 2007 Xterra were conducted, one with optional side airbags for the driver and rear passenger, and one without. These vehicles are rated separately, except that the structural ratings for both vehicles are based on both tests.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures would be possible in a crash of this severity. The risk of significant injuries to other body regions is low.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the side airbags and damage to the occupant compartment.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the driver dummy's head was protected from being hit by hard structures by the side curtain airbag.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy’s head was protected by the side airbag.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags and front seat-mounted torso airbags (standard beginning with 2009 models, optional in 2005-08 models)
- Rollover sensor: designed to deploy the side curtain airbags, if equipped, in the event of an impending rollover
- Electronic stability control (standard beginning with 2006 models, optional on 2005 models)
- Antilock brakes
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2007 Nissan Xterra S 4wd
- Class: Midsize SUV
- Weight: 4,431 lbs.
- Side airbags: optional front and rear head curtain airbags with optional front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 106 in.
- Length: 179 in.
- Width: 73 in.
- Engine: 4.0 L V6
- EPA ratings: 16 mpg city | 21 mpg highway