Nissan Xterra2005-08 models
SIDE IMPACT TEST WITHOUT OPTIONAL SIDE AIRBAGS
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Nissan Xterra was redesigned for the 2005 model year. Beginning with 2009 models, side airbags were made standard.
Two tests of a 2007 Xterra were conducted, one with optional side airbags for the driver and rear passenger, and one without. These vehicles are rated separately, except that the structural ratings for both vehicles are based on both tests.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries would be likely in a crash of this severity. The risk of significant injuries to other body regions is low.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — Although the intruding barrier did not hit the dummy's head in this test, the head was not protected from contacts outside the vehicle. This indicates that only slightly different crash circumstances could produce a direct hit to a person's head.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was hit by the window glass of the rear passenger door. This impact did not produce high head injury measures, but the head protection is inadequate.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the damage to the occupant compartment.
- Action shot taken during the side impact crash test showing the driver dummy's head leaning well outward and approaching the window sill.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy's head was hit by the rear door window glass.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags and front seat-mounted torso airbags (standard beginning with 2009 models, optional in 2005-08 models)
- Rollover sensor: designed to deploy the side curtain airbags, if equipped, in the event of an impending rollover
- Electronic stability control (standard beginning with 2006 models, optional on 2005 models)
- Antilock brakes
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2007 Nissan Xterra S 4wd
- Class: Midsize SUV
- Weight: 4,352 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 106 in.
- Length: 179 in.
- Width: 73 in.
- Engine: 4.0 L V6
- EPA ratings: 16 mpg city | 21 mpg highway