Toyota 4Runner2006-07 models
SIDE IMPACT TEST WITH OPTIONAL SIDE AIRBAGS
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Toyota 4Runner was redesigned for the 2003 model year. Beginning with 2006 models, structural modifications were made to improve occupant protection in side impact crashes, and starting with 2008 models, side airbags were made standard.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof and a side airbag that deployed from the seat.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the side airbags and damage to the occupant compartment.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the driver dummy's head was protected from being hit by hard structures by the side airbags.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy’s head was protected by the side airbag.
- Side airbags: front and second row head curtain airbags and front seat-mounted torso airbags (standard beginning with 2008 models, optional in 2005-07 models)
- Rollover sensor: designed to deploy the side curtain airbags, if equipped, in the event of an impending rollover (beginning with 2004 models)
- Electronic stability control
- Antilock brakes
- Daytime running lights (optional)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2007 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4wd
- Class: Midsize SUV
- Weight: 4,352 lbs.
- Side airbags: optional front and second row head curtain airbags with optional front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 110 in.
- Length: 189 in.
- Width: 75 in.
- Engine: 4.0 L V6
- EPA ratings: 17 mpg city | 21 mpg highway