Nissan Xterra2005-12 models
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Nissan Xterra was redesigned for the 2005 model year.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement was well controlled. After the dummy moved forward into the airbag, it rebounded into the seat without its head coming close to any stiff structure that could cause injury.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the head, neck, and chest indicate low risk of injuries to these body regions in a crash of this severity. Forces on both tibias and feet indicate that injuries to the lower legs and feet would be possible. (Note: during the test, some injury data from the right leg was not obtained, but after the Institute reviewed comparable test data from Nissan, the right leg injury rating was not changed.)
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the frontal offset crash test.
- The dummy's position in relation to the steering wheel and instrument panel after the crash test indicates that the driver's survival space was maintained well.
- During rebound, the dummy's head hit only the head restraint as indicated by smeared greasepaint.
- Forces on both lower legs and feet were high enough to indicate the possibility of injuries.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags and front seat-mounted torso airbags (standard beginning with 2009 models, optional in 2005-08 models)
- Rollover sensor: designed to deploy the side curtain airbags, if equipped, in the event of an impending rollover
- Electronic stability control (standard beginning with 2006 models, optional on 2005 models)
- Antilock brakes
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2007 Nissan Xterra S 4wd
- Class: Midsize SUV
- Weight: 4,352 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 106 in.
- Length: 179 in.
- Width: 73 in.
- Engine: 4.0 L V6
- EPA ratings: 16 mpg city | 21 mpg highway