BMW 5 series2008-10 models built after May 2007
SIDE IMPACT TEST WITH STANDARD BUT WITHOUT ADDITIONAL OPTIONAL SIDE AIRBAGS
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The BMW 5 series was redesigned for the 2004 model year. Beginning with 2008 models built after May 2007, modifications were made to the side tubular head protection airbags to improve occupant protection in side-impact crashes (note: information about when a specific vehicle was manufactured is on the certification label typically affixed to the car on or near the driver door). Door trim changes were also made beginning with 2008 model year production. The tested car was manufactured after the modifications had been made.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries would be likely in a crash of this severity. A fracture of the pelvis would also be possible.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side tubular airbag that deployed from the roof and a side airbag that deployed from the door.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side tubular airbag that deployed from the roof.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the side tubular airbag and damage to the occupant compartment.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the driver dummy's head was protected from being hit by hard structures by the side airbags.
- Smeared red greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy’s head was protected by the side airbag.
- Side airbags: front and rear head tubular airbags and front door-mounted torso airbags (standard); rear door-mounted torso airbags (optional)
- Electronic stability control
- Antilock brakes
- Programmable daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2008 BMW 528i 4-door
- Class: Large luxury car
- Weight: 3,558 lbs.
- Side airbags: standard front and rear head tubular airbags and standard front door-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 114 in.
- Length: 191 in.
- Width: 73 in.
- Engine: 3.0 L 6-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 17 mpg city | 27 mpg highway