Mazda Protege1995-98 models
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Mazda Protege was redesigned for the 1995 model year.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement wasn't well controlled. The belt lengthened excessively, allowing the dummy's right knee to hit the ignition switch. During rebound, the dummy moved toward the driver door. Its head went through the open window and, as the dummy's head re-entered the vehicle, it hit the window frame.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the head, neck, chest, and left leg indicate low risk of injuries to these body regions in a crash of this severity. Forces on the right tibia indicate that injuries to the lower leg would be possible. Head acceleration from the window frame hit was low.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the frontal offset crash test.
- The dummy's position in relation to the steering wheel and instrument panel after the crash test indicates that the driver's survival space was maintained reasonably well.
- The dummy's right knee hit the ignition during the offset test. This can cause serious lacerations or increase crash forces on the leg.
- Antilock brakes (optional)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 1997 Mazda Protege LX 4-door
- Class: Small car
- Weight: 2,498 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 103 in.
- Length: 175 in.
- Width: 67 in.
- Engine: 1.5 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 25 mpg city | 33 mpg highway