BMW 3 series convertible2007-13 models built after April 2007
SIDE IMPACT TEST
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The BMW 3 series convertible was redesigned for the 2007 model year. Beginning with 2007 models built after April 2007, design changes were made to the side airbags to improve occupant protection in side impact crashes (note: information about when a specific vehicle was manufactured is on the certification label typically affixed to the car on or near the driver door).
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures would be possible in a crash of this severity. In addition, loading to the shoulder was excessive.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side airbag that deployed from the seat.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was hit by the interior side trim. This impact did not produce high head injury measures, but the head protection is inadequate.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with door removed, showing the side airbag, pop-up rollover bars, and damage to the occupant compartment.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the driver dummy's head was protected from being hit by hard structures by the side airbag.
- Smeared yellow and red greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy’s head was hit by the interior side trim.
- Side airbags: front seat-mounted combination head and torso airbags
- Driver and front passenger knee airbags: separate airbags in the lower instrument panel designed to minimize knee injuries in frontal crashes
- Rollover sensor: designed to deploy the side curtain airbags in the event of an impending rollover
- Rollover protection system (pop-up bars behind the rear seats)
- Electronic stability control
- Antilock brakes
- Programmable daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2007 BMW 328i convertible
- Class: Midsize convertible
- Weight: 3,849 lbs.
- Side airbags: standard front seat-mounted combination head and torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 109 in.
- Length: 181 in.
- Width: 70 in.
- Engine: 3.0 L 6-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 20 mpg city | 30 mpg highway