Infiniti Q451997-2001 models built after March 1997
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Infiniti Q45 was redesigned for the 1997 model year. All 1997 and later Q45 models manufactured after March 1997 include structural changes to improve occupant protection in frontal crashes (note: information about when a specific vehicle was manufactured is on the certification label typically affixed to the car on or near the driver door).
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety has evaluated the crashworthiness of a Q45 with the structural changes in two 40 mph frontal offset crash tests into deformable barriers. (Following discussions with the automaker about the head injury criterion in the first crash test, the second offset test was conducted. Similar results were obtained. This evaluation is based on both tests.)
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement wasn't well controlled in either crash test. After the dummy moved forward into the airbag, the seatback moved forward so that the head restraint hit the dummy's head. During rebound, the dummy's head hit the B-pillar.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the chest indicate low risk of injuries to this body region in a crash of this severity. In both tests, forces on the head indicate that injuries to the head would be possible. Forces on both tibias indicate that injuries to the lower legs would be possible. Head acceleration from the B-pillar hit was low.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the frontal offset crash test.
- The dummy's position in relation to the steering wheel and instrument panel after the crash test indicates that the driver's survival space was maintained reasonably well.
- Side airbags inflated during the offset test to help control the dummy's movement.
- Forces on the dummy's left lower leg were high in the second crash test, indicating likely injury.
- Side airbags: front seat-mounted torso airbags (1997 models manufactured after March 1997); front seat-mounted combination head and torso airbags (1998-2001 models manufactured after January 1998)
- Antilock brakes
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 1997 Infiniti Q45 4-door
- Class: Large luxury car
- Weight: 3,966 lbs.
- Side airbags: front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 111 in.
- Length: 199 in.
- Width: 72 in.
- Engine: 4.1 L V8
- EPA ratings: 18 mpg city | 24 mpg highway