Ford Fusion2007-12 models built after January 2007
results also apply to: 2007-10 Mercury Milan built after January 2007
SIDE IMPACT TEST
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Ford Fusion and Mercury Milan were introduced in the 2006 model year. Beginning with 2007 models, design changes were made to the side curtain airbags and door structure and trim to improve occupant protection in side impact crashes. Also, side airbags became standard beginning with 2007 models (optional in 2006 models).
Further modifications were made to the front door trim starting with 2007 models manufactured after January 2007 (note: information about when a specific vehicle was manufactured is on the certification label typically affixed to the car on or near the driver door). Both cars were restyled beginning with the 2010 model year.
Two tests of the Fusion were conducted, one manufactured before the January 2007 front door trim changes were made, and one manufactured afterward. These vehicles are rated separately, except that the structural ratings and rear passenger injury and head protection ratings for both vehicles are based on both tests.
The Mercury Milan was discontinued after the 2010 model year.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof and a side airbag that deployed from the seat.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the side airbags and damage to the occupant compartment.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the driver dummy's head was protected from being hit by hard structures by the side airbags.
- Smeared red greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy’s head was protected by the side airbag.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags and front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Electronic stability control (standard beginning with 2010 models, optional on 2009 models)
- Antilock brakes (standard beginning with 2008 models, optional on 2006-07 models)
- Daytime running lights (optional on vehicles sold to fleets)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2007 Ford Fusion SE 4-door
- Class: Midsize moderately priced car
- Weight: 3,389 lbs.
- Side airbags: standard front and rear head curtain airbags and standard front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 107 in.
- Length: 190 in.
- Width: 72 in.
- Engine: 3.0 L V6
- EPA ratings: 20 mpg city | 28 mpg highway