Toyota Yaris sedan2007-08 models
SIDE IMPACT TEST WITHOUT OPTIONAL SIDE AIRBAGS
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Toyota Yaris was introduced in the 2007 model year. Beginning with 2009 models, side airbags were made standard.
Two tests of a 2007 Yaris were conducted, one with optional side airbags for the driver and rear passenger, and one without. These vehicles are rated separately, except that the structural ratings for both vehicles are based on both tests.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate serious skull fracture and/or brain injuries would be likely in a crash of this severity. Rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries and a fracture of the pelvis would also be possible.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy's head was hit by the intruding barrier, producing high head injury measures.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was hit by the pillar behind the rear side window and by the window frame and sill. These impacts did not produce high head injury measures, but the head protection is inadequate.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with the doors removed, showing the damage to the occupant compartment.
- A prominent dent and smeared greasepaint indicate where the driver dummy's head hit the barrier.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy's head was hit by the pillar behind the rear passenger door and by the window sill.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags with front seat-mounted torso airbags (optional)
- Antilock brakes (optional)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2007 Toyota Yaris 4-door
- Class: Minicar
- Weight: 2,366 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 100 in.
- Length: 169 in.
- Width: 67 in.
- Engine: 1.5 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 34 mpg city | 39 mpg highway