BMW 5 series1997-2003 models
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The BMW 5 series was redesigned for the 1997 model year.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement was well controlled. After the dummy moved forward into the airbag, it rebounded into the seat without its head coming close to any stiff structure that could cause injury.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the frontal offset crash test.
- The dummy's position in relation to the steering wheel and instrument panel after the crash test indicates that the driver's survival space was maintained very well.
- There was only minimal intrusion into the driver footwell area.
- Beginning with 1998 models, separate side airbags are designed to protect front-seat occupants' heads.
- Side airbags: front seat-mounted torso airbags (standard, all model years); front head tubular airbags (standard, 1998-2003 models); rear seat-mounted torso airbags (optional, 1998-2003 models); rear head tubular airbags (optional, 2002-03 models)
- Electronic stability control (optional on 1999 models and standard on 2000-03 models)
- Antilock brakes
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 1997 BMW 540i 4-door
- Class: Large luxury car
- Weight: 3,827 lbs.
- Side airbags: front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 111 in.
- Length: 188 in.
- Width: 71 in.
- Engine: 4.4 L V8
- EPA ratings: 18 mpg city | 24 mpg highway