Ford F-1501997-2003 models
results also apply to: 2004 Ford F-150 Heritage
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Ford F-150 was redesigned for the 1997 model year. The Heritage nameplate was added in the 2004 model year to distinguish it from the redesigned 2004 Ford F-150.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement wasn't well controlled. The airbag deployed too late, and there was too much rearward and far too much upward steering wheel movement, which contributed to the dummy's head bottoming out the airbag and hitting the steering wheel. The driver seat was tilted so far forward that the dummy's head was confined to a narrow space between the steering wheel and head restraint during much of the crash.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the chest indicate low risk of injuries to this body region in a crash of this severity. Forces on the head and neck indicate that injuries to the neck would be likely and injuries to the head would be possible. Forces on both tibias indicate that injuries to the lower legs would be possible.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the frontal offset crash test.
- Major collapse of the occupant compartment left little survival space for the driver.
- Both doors partially opened on the driver side. Arrow indicates where rear door was latched to roof rail before crash.
- Massive intrusion and pitching forward of the driver seat wedged the dummy into a tight space during the crash.
- Antilock brakes (standard beginning with 2001 models, optional on 1997-2000 models). Note: rear-wheel antilock brakes standard on 1997-2000 models.
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2001 Ford F-150 XLT (2wd SuperCab)
- Class: Large pickup
- Weight: 4,475 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 139 in.
- Length: 226 in.
- Width: 79 in.
- Engine: 4.6 L V8
- EPA ratings: 16 mpg city | 21 mpg highway