Toyota Camry1997-2001 models
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Toyota Camry was redesigned for the 1997 model year.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement was well controlled. During rebound, the dummy moved toward the driver door, and its head hit the B-pillar.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the neck, chest, and both legs indicate low risk of injuries to these body regions in a crash of this severity. A high head acceleration occurred when the dummy's head hit the B-pillar, indicating that injuries to the head would be possible.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the frontal offset crash test.
- The dummy's position in relation to the steering wheel and instrument panel after the crash test indicates that the driver's survival space was maintained well.
- Smeared greasepaint indicates where the dummy's head hit the B-pillar during rebound, producing a high head acceleration.
- There was minimal footwell intrusion as well as very little rearward movement of the instrument panel into the driver's survival space.
- Side airbags: front seat-mounted torso airbags (optional, beginning with 1998 models)
- Built-in child restraints (optional, 1997-98 models only)
- Antilock brakes (optional)
- Daytime running lights (optional beginning with 1999 models)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 1997 Toyota Camry LE 4-door
- Class: Midsize moderately priced car
- Weight: 3,128 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 105 in.
- Length: 188 in.
- Width: 70 in.
- Engine: 2.2 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 23 mpg city | 30 mpg highway