Pontiac Torrent2006-09 models built after January 2006
results also apply to: 2006-09 Chevrolet Equinox built after January 2006
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Pontiac Torrent was introduced in the 2006 model year, and the Chevrolet Equinox was introduced in the 2005 model year. All 2006 and later Torrent and Equinox models built after January 2006 include structural changes to improve occupant protection in frontal crashes (note: information about when a specific vehicle was manufactured is on the certification label typically affixed to the car on or near the driver door).
Frontal ratings are assigned by the Institute based on a test conducted by General Motors as part of frontal crash test verification. The tested vehicle was manufactured after the structural modifications had been made.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement was well controlled. During rebound, the dummy's head hit the B-pillar.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity. Head acceleration from the B-pillar hit was low.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags (standard beginning with 2009 models, optional in 2006-08 models)
- Rollover sensor: designed to deploy the side curtain airbags, if equipped, in the event of an impending rollover (beginning with 2007 models)
- Electronic stability control (beginning with 2007 models)
- Antilock brakes
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2007 Pontiac Torrent LS 2wd
- Class: Small SUV
- Weight: 3,790 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 113 in.
- Length: 189 in.
- Width: 71 in.
- Engine: 3.4 L V6
- EPA ratings: 19 mpg city | 24 mpg highway