Pontiac Grand Prix1997-2003 models
results also apply to: 1997-2005 Buick Century | 1997-2004 Buick Regal | 1998-2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Pontiac Grand Prix and Buick Century and Regal were redesigned for the 1997 model year, and the Oldsmobile Intrigue was introduced in the 1998 model year.
The Intrigue was dropped after the 2002 model year, the Regal after the 2004 model year, and the Century after the 2005 model year. The Grand Prix was redesigned for the 2004 model year.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement was well controlled. During rebound, the dummy moved toward the driver door and its head hit the B-pillar.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the neck, chest, and left leg indicate low risk of injuries to these body regions in a crash of this severity. Forces on the dummy's head that occurred when the head moved forward into the airbag indicate that injuries to the head would be possible. Forces on the right tibia indicate that injuries to the lower leg would be possible. Head acceleration from the B-pillar hit was low.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the frontal offset crash test.
- The dummy's position in relation to the steering wheel and instrument panel after the crash test indicates that the driver's survival space was maintained reasonably well.
- There was too much upward movement of the steering wheel.
- The head restraint/seatback combination is specially designed to mitigate whiplash injury. This restraint has proven effective in crash tests.
- Side airbags: driver seat-mounted combination head and torso airbag (optional, 2000-05 Buick Century and 2000-04 Regal models)
- Built-in child restraints (optional on 1997-98 Grand Prix models and 1997-98 Century/Regal models)
- Electronic stability control (optional, 2000-02 Oldsmobile Intrigue models)
- Antilock brakes (optional on 2003-05 models, standard on all 1997-2002 models)
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4-door
- Class: Large family car
- Weight: 3,466 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 110 in.
- Length: 196 in.
- Width: 73 in.
- Engine: 3.8 L V6
- EPA ratings: 19 mpg city | 30 mpg highway