Toyota Avalon2005-12 models
SIDE IMPACT TEST
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Toyota Avalon was redesigned for the 2005 model year and mildly restyled for the 2011 model year. Its size and weight were increased sufficiently to reclassify it as a large family car beginning with the 2005 models. (Earlier models were classified as midsize moderately priced cars.)
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures would be possible in a crash of this severity. The risk of significant injuries to other body regions is low.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the side airbags and damage to the occupant compartment.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the driver dummy's head was protected from being hit by hard structures by the side curtain airbag.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy’s head was protected by the side airbag.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags and front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Driver knee airbag: a separate airbag in the lower instrument panel designed to minimize knee injuries in frontal crashes
- Electronic stability control (standard beginning with 2009 models, optional on 2005-08 models)
- Antilock brakes
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2006 Toyota Avalon XL 4-door
- Class: Large family car
- Weight: 3,527 lbs.
- Side airbags: standard front and rear head curtain airbags and standard front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 111 in.
- Length: 197 in.
- Width: 73 in.
- Engine: 3.5 L V6
- EPA ratings: 22 mpg city | 31 mpg highway