Ford Five Hundred2005-07 models
results also apply to: 2005-06 Mercury Montego
SIDE IMPACT TEST WITHOUT OPTIONAL SIDE AIRBAGS
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Ford Five Hundred was introduced in the 2005 model year.
Two tests of a 2006 Five Hundred were conducted, one with optional side airbags for the driver and rear passenger, and one without. These vehicles are rated separately, except that the structural ratings for both vehicles are based on both tests.
The side airbags were made standard beginning with all 2007 Montegos models and with 2007 Five Hundred models manufactured after September 2006.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that serious skull fracture and/or brain injuries would be possible in a crash of this severity, as well as rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries. Loading to the shoulder was excessive. A fracture of the pelvis would also be possible.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy's head was hit by the intruding barrier, producing high head injury measures.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was hit by the pillar behind the rear passenger door. This pillar is required by federal standard to provide some protection for occupants' heads.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the damage to the occupant compartment.
- A prominent dent and glass marks indicate where the driver dummy's head hit the barrier.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy’s head was hit by the pillar behind the rear passenger door.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags with front seat-mounted torso airbags (optional in 2005-06 Montego models and 2005-07 Five Hundred models built in September 2006 or earlier, standard in 2007 Montego models and 2007 Five Hundred models built after September 2006)
- Rollover sensor: designed to deploy the side curtain airbags, if equipped, in the event of an impending rollover
- Antilock brakes
- Daytime running lights (optional on vehicles sold to fleets)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2006 Ford Five Hundred SE 4-door
- Class: Large family car
- Weight: 3,675 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 113 in.
- Length: 201 in.
- Width: 74 in.
- Engine: 3.0 L V6
- EPA ratings: 20 mpg city | 27 mpg highway