Ford Crown Victoria2003-08 models
results also apply to: 2003-08 Mercury Grand Marquis
SIDE IMPACT TEST WITHOUT OPTIONAL SIDE AIRBAGS
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis were re-engineered for the 2003 model year.
Two tests of the Crown Victoria were conducted, one a 2007 model equipped with optional side airbags, and one a 2006 model without side airbags. These vehicles are rated separately, except that the structural ratings and rear passenger injury and head protection ratings for both vehicles are based on both tests. Beginning with 2009 models, side airbags were made standard.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries would be likely in a crash of this severity. Serious skull fracture and/or brain injuries plus serious neck injuries would also be possible, as well as fractures of the pelvis and left femur.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy's head was hit by the window sill of the driver door, producing high head injury measures.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was hit by the pillar behind the rear passenger door. This pillar is required by federal standard to provide some protection for occupants' heads.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the damage to the occupant compartment.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the driver dummy’s head was hit by the window sill.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy’s head was hit by the pillar behind the rear passenger door.
- Side airbags: front seat-mounted combination head and torso airbags (optional)
- Antilock brakes
- Daytime running lights (optional on 2006 and later Crown Victoria models sold to fleets)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2006 Ford Crown Victoria 4-door
- Class: Large family car
- Weight: 4,061 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 115 in.
- Length: 212 in.
- Width: 78 in.
- Engine: 4.6 L V8
- EPA ratings: 17 mpg city | 25 mpg highway