Dodge Grand Caravan2006-07 models built after December 2005
results also apply to: 2006-07 Chrysler Town & Country built after December 2005
SIDE IMPACT TEST WITH OPTIONAL SIDE AIRBAGS
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Dodge Grand Caravan and Chrysler Town and Country were redesigned for the 2001 model year. A modification was made beginning with 2002 models to fix a fuel tank fitting that contributed to a fuel leak in one of the Institute's frontal offset tests of a 2001 model.
Beginning with 2006 models manufactured after December 2005, further changes including additional B-pillar reinforcements, a modified roof structure, side curtain airbag updates, and modified door trim panels were made to improve occupant protection in side impact crashes (note: information about when a specific vehicle was manufactured is on the certification label typically affixed to the car on or near the driver door).
Two tests of the Grand Caravan were conducted, one with an optional side airbag for the driver and rear passenger, and one without. These vehicles are rated separately, except that the structural ratings for both vehicles are based on both tests. The tested vans were manufactured after all modifications had been made.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that serious neck injuries would be possible in a crash of this severity. Rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries would also be possible.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the side airbag and damage to the occupant compartment.
- Action shot taken during the side impact crash test showing the driver dummy's head was protected from being hit by hard structures by the side curtain airbag.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy’s head was protected by the side airbag.
- Side airbags: head curtain airbags for all three rows of seats (optional)
- Driver inflatable knee bolster: a separate airbag in the lower instrument panel designed to minimize knee injuries in frontal crashes
- Built-in child restraints (optional)
- Antilock brakes
- Daytime running lights (optional on vehicles sold to fleets)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT
- Class: Minivan
- Weight: 4,348 lbs.
- Side airbags: head curtain airbags for all three rows of seats
- Wheelbase: 119 in.
- Length: 201 in.
- Width: 79 in.
- Engine: 3.8 L V6
- EPA ratings: 18 mpg city | 25 mpg highway