Toyota Prius2004-06 models
SIDE IMPACT TEST WITHOUT OPTIONAL SIDE AIRBAGS
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Toyota Prius was redesigned for the 2004 model year. Beginning with 2007 models, side airbags were made standard.
Two tests of a 2006 Prius were conducted, one with optional side airbags for the driver and rear passenger, and one without. These vehicles are rated separately, except that the structural ratings for both vehicles are based on both tests.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that serious skull fracture and/or brain injuries would be likely in a crash of this severity, and rib fractures would be possible.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that serious neck injuries would be possible in a crash of this severity. The risk of significant injuries to other body regions is low.
Driver — The dummy's head was hit by the intruding barrier, producing high head injury measures.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was hit by the intruding barrier, as well as the window sill and window frame of the rear passenger door, producing high neck injury measures.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the damage to the occupant compartment.
- A prominent dent and scrape marks indicate where the driver dummy's head hit the barrier.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy’s head was hit by the window sill and window frame of the rear passenger door. The head was also hit by the intruding barrier (not shown).
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags with front seat-mounted torso airbags (optional)
- Electronic stability control (optional)
- Antilock brakes
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2006 Toyota Prius 4-door
- Class: Small car
- Weight: 2,945 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 106 in.
- Length: 175 in.
- Width: 68 in.
- Engine: 1.5 L 4-cylinder (gasoline) and electric motor
- EPA ratings: 60 mpg city | 51 mpg highway