Toyota Prius2004-06 models
SIDE IMPACT TEST WITH OPTIONAL SIDE AIRBAGS
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Toyota Prius was redesigned for the 2004 model year. Beginning with 2007 models, side airbags were made standard.
Two tests of a 2006 Prius were conducted, one with optional side airbags for the driver and rear passenger, and one without. These vehicles are rated separately, except that the structural ratings for both vehicles are based on both tests.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the side airbags and damage to the occupant compartment.
- Action shot taken during the side impact crash test showing the driver dummy's head was protected from being hit by hard structures by the side curtain airbag.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy’s head was protected by the side airbag.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags with front seat-mounted torso airbags (standard beginning with 2007 models, optional in 2004-06 models)
- Electronic stability control (optional)
- Antilock brakes
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2006 Toyota Prius 4-door
- Class: Small car
- Weight: 2,959 lbs.
- Side airbags: optional front and rear head curtain airbags and optional front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 106 in.
- Length: 175 in.
- Width: 68 in.
- Engine: 1.5 L 4-cylinder (gasoline) and electric motor
- EPA ratings: 60 mpg city | 51 mpg highway