Ford Explorer2006-10 models
results also apply to: 2007-10 Ford Explorer Sport Trac | 2006-10 Mercury Mountaineer
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Ford Explorer and Mercury Mountaineer were re-engineered for the 2006 model year. Frontal ratings are assigned by the Institute based on a test conducted by Ford as part of frontal crash test verification.
The frontal offset crash test ratings also apply to the Explorer Sport Trac, which was redesigned for the 2007 model year (no 2006 model Sport Trac was available). The Sport Trac is very similar to the Explorer, except that it has a longer wheelbase and an open cargo bed behind the occupant compartment in place of the Explorer's enclosed cargo area with optional third row seat.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement was well controlled. During rebound, the dummy's head hit the roof rail and B-pillar.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity. Head accelerations from the roof rail and B-pillar hits were low.
- Side airbags: front seat-mounted torso airbags (standard) and front and second row head curtain airbags (standard in 2007-10 Mountaineer and 2008-10 Explorer and Sport Trac models, optional in earlier models)
- Rollover sensor: designed to deploy the side curtain airbags, if equipped, in the event of an impending rollover
- Electronic stability control; includes roll stability control to minimize the possibility of rollover
- Antilock brakes
- Daytime running lights (optional on vehicles sold to fleets)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4wd
- Class: Midsize SUV
- Weight: 4,716 lbs.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags and front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 114 in.
- Length: 193 in.
- Width: 74 in.
- Engine: 4.0 L V6
- EPA ratings: 15 mpg city | 20 mpg highway