Toyota Prius2004-09 models
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Toyota Prius was redesigned for the 2004 model year.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement was well controlled. During rebound, the dummy's head hit the B-pillar and roof rail.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity. Head accelerations from the B-pillar and roof rail hits were low.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the frontal offset crash test.
- The dummy's position in relation to the steering wheel and instrument panel after the crash test indicates that the driver's survival space was maintained well.
- Smeared greasepaint indicates where the dummy's head hit the B-pillar, roof rail, and head restraint during rebound. Head accelerations from these hits were low.
- Intrusion into the driver's space was minimal, and all leg and foot injury measures were low.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags with front seat-mounted torso airbags (standard beginning with 2007 models, optional in 2004-06 models)
- Electronic stability control (optional)
- Antilock brakes
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2006 Toyota Prius 4-door
- Class: Small car
- Weight: 2,972 lbs.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags and front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 106 in.
- Length: 175 in.
- Width: 68 in.
- Engine: 1.5 L 4-cylinder (gasoline) and electric motor
- EPA ratings: 60 mpg city | 51 mpg highway