Mini Cooper2006 models built after December 2005
SIDE IMPACT TEST
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Mini Cooper was introduced in the 2002 model year. Beginning with 2006 models manufactured after December 2005, changes were made to one of the door hinge bolts and to the crash padding in the rear side panel to improve occupant protection in side impact crashes (note: information about when a specific vehicle was manufactured is on the certification label typically affixed to the car on or near the driver door). The tested car was manufactured after the modifications had been made.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries plus a fracture of the pelvis would be possible in a crash of this severity.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side tubular airbag that deployed from the roof and a side airbag that deployed from the seat.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side tubular airbag that deployed from the roof.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with door removed, showing the side airbags and damage to the occupant compartment.
- Action shot taken during the side impact crash test showing the driver dummy's head was protected from being hit by hard structures by the side airbags.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy’s head was protected by the side airbag.
- Front and rear head tubular airbags and front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Electronic stability control (optional)
- Antilock brakes
- Daytime running lights (programmable by dealer)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2006 Mini Cooper 2-door
- Class: Minicar
- Weight: 2,485 lbs.
- Side airbags: standard front and rear head tubular airbags and standard front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 97 in.
- Length: 143 in.
- Width: 66 in.
- Engine: 1.6 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 28 mpg city | 36 mpg highway