Subaru Legacy2006-09 models
SIDE IMPACT TEST
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Subaru Legacy was redesigned for the 2005 model year. Beginning with 2006 models, changes were made to the side structure, front seats, and front seat-mounted torso airbags to improve occupant protection in side impact crashes.
The side impact crash test ratings also apply to the station wagon version of the Legacy for the 2006-07 model years (the Legacy wagon was discontinued after 2007). However, the ratings do not apply to Outback models.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures would be possible in a crash of this severity. The risk of significant injuries to other body regions is low.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy’s head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Rear passenger — The dummy’s head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the side airbags and damage to the occupant compartment.
- Action shot taken during the side impact crash test showing the driver dummy's head was protected from being hit by hard structures by the side curtain airbag.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy's head was protected by the side airbag.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags and front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Electronic stability control (standard beginning with 2009 models, optional on 2007-2008 models)
- Antilock brakes
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Special Edition 4-door 4wd
- Class: Midsize moderately priced car
- Weight: 3,320 lbs.
- Side airbags: standard front and rear head curtain airbags and standard front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 105 in.
- Length: 186 in.
- Width: 68 in.
- Engine: 2.5 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 23 mpg city | 30 mpg highway