Ford Taurus2008-09 models
results also apply to: 2005-07 Ford Five Hundred | 2005-07 Mercury Montego | 2008-09 Mercury Sable
SIDE IMPACT TEST
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Ford Five Hundred and Mercury Montego were introduced in the 2005 model year. The cars were re-engineered with a new engine for the 2008 model year and renamed the Ford Taurus and Mercury Sable. In addition, electronic stability control was introduced as an option beginning with the 2008 models. The engineering changes do not affect side impact performance.
Side airbags were made standard in all 2007 Montego models and in 2007 Five Hundred models manufactured after September 2006. Beginning with 2008 models, all Taurus and Sable models also have standard side airbags.
Two tests of a 2006 Five Hundred were conducted, one with optional side airbags for the driver and rear passenger, and one without. These vehicles are rated separately, except that the structural ratings for both vehicles are based on both tests.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries, as well as a fracture of the pelvis, would be possible in a crash of this severity.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof and a side airbag that deployed from the seat.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the side airbags and damage to the occupant compartment.
- Action shot taken during the side impact crash test showing the driver dummy's head was protected from being hit by hard structures by the side curtain and side torso airbags.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy’s head was protected by the side airbag.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags and front seat-mounted torso airbags (standard beginning with 2008 Taurus/Sable models, 2007 Montego models, and 2007 Five Hundred models manufactured after September 2006; optional in 2005-06 models)
- Rollover sensor: designed to deploy the side curtain airbags, if equipped, in the event of an impending rollover
- Electronic stability control (standard beginning with 2009 Taurus/Sable models, optional on 2008 Taurus/Sable models)
- Antilock brakes
- Daytime running lights (optional on vehicles sold to fleets)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2006 Ford Five Hundred SEL 4-door
- Class: Large family car
- Weight: 3,717 lbs.
- Side airbags: optional front and rear head curtain airbags and optional front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 113 in.
- Length: 201 in.
- Width: 74 in.
- Engine: 3.0 L V6
- EPA ratings: 21 mpg city | 29 mpg highway