Hyundai Sonata1995-98 models
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Hyundai Sonata was redesigned for the 1995 model year.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement wasn't well controlled. After moving forward into the airbag, the dummy's head moved to the left, sliding around the side of the airbag toward the A-pillar.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the head, neck, chest and right leg indicate low risk of injuries to these body regions in a crash of this severity. Forces on the left femur and left tibia indicate that injuries to the upper leg would be possible and injuries to the lower leg would be likely.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the frontal offset crash test.
- Post-crash damage shot.
- Intrusion in the driver footwell area contributed to the high injury measures on the dummy's left lower leg.
- Antilock brakes (optional)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 1996 Hyundai Sonata GL 4-door
- Class: Midsize moderately priced car
- Weight: 2,954 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 106 in.
- Length: 185 in.
- Width: 70 in.
- Engine: 2.0 L 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 21 mpg city | 28 mpg highway