Pontiac G62006 models built after June 2005
SIDE IMPACT TEST WITHOUT OPTIONAL SIDE AIRBAGS
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Pontiac G6 was introduced in the 2005 model year. Beginning with 2006 models manufactured after June 2005, changes were made to the side torso airbags and front and rear door trim panels to improve occupant protection in side impact crashes.
Two tests of a 2006 G6 were conducted, one with optional side airbags for the driver and rear passenger, and one without. Both cars were manufactured after all design changes for 2006 had been made. These vehicles are rated separately, except that the structural ratings for both vehicles are based on both tests.
Beginning with 2007 models, side curtain airbags designed to protect drivers' and front and rear passengers' heads became standard, but side airbags designed to protect drivers' and front passengers' torsos remained optional.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries would be likely in a crash of this severity. Serious skull fracture and/or brain injuries plus a fracture of the pelvis also would be possible.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries would be possible in a crash of this severity. The risk of significant injuries to other body regions is low.
Driver — The dummy's head was hit by the intruding barrier, producing high head injury measures.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was hit primarily by the window sill of the rear passenger door. This impact did not produce high head injury measures, but the head protection is inadequate.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the damage to the occupant compartment.
- Action shot taken during the side impact crash test showing the driver dummy's head being hit by the intruding barrier.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy’s head was hit by the window sill of the rear passenger door.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags with front seat-mounted torso airbags (optional)
- Electronic stability control (optional)
- Antilock brakes (optional)
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2006 Pontiac G6 4-door
- Class: Midsize moderately priced car
- Weight: 3,413 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 112 in.
- Length: 189 in.
- Width: 71 in.
- Engine: 3.5 L V6
- EPA ratings: 22 mpg city | 32 mpg highway