Ford Freestar2006-07 models
SIDE IMPACT TEST WITHOUT OPTIONAL SIDE AIRBAGS
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Ford Freestar was introduced in the 2004 model year as a replacement for the Windstar. The similar Mercury Monterey was introduced in 2004 as well and discontinued after the 2006 model year. Beginning with 2006 models, design changes were made to the door trim panels and the side airbags to improve occupant protection in side impact crashes, and the side airbags were made standard in all Monterey models.
Two tests of a 2006 Freestar were conducted, one with optional side airbags for the driver and rear passenger, and one without. These vehicles are rated separately, except that the structural ratings for both vehicles are based on both tests.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries would be likely in a crash of this severity. Serious neck injuries would also be possible.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The intruding barrier came close to the dummy's head in this test. Although the barrier did not hit the head, this near miss indicates that only slightly different crash circumstances could produce a direct hit to a person's head.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was hit by the window frame of the rear passenger door. This impact did not produce high head injury measures, but the head protection is inadequate.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the damage to the occupant compartment.
- Action shot taken during the side impact crash test showing the driver dummy's head leaning well outward and approaching the crash test barrier.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy’s head was hit by the window trim, which was dislodged during the crash (dummy removed from van to show the impact point).
- Side airbags: head curtain airbags for all three rows of seats with front seat-mounted torso airbags (optional)
- Rollover sensor: designed to deploy the side curtain airbags, if equipped, in the event of an impending rollover
- Electronic stability control (optional)
- Antilock brakes
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2006 Ford Freestar SE
- Class: Minivan
- Weight: 4,259 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 121 in.
- Length: 201 in.
- Width: 76 in.
- Engine: 3.9 L V6
- EPA ratings: 18 mpg city | 24 mpg highway