Ford Freestar2006-07 models
results also apply to: 2006 Mercury Monterey
SIDE IMPACT TEST WITH OPTIONAL SIDE AIRBAGS
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Ford Freestar was introduced in the 2004 model year as a replacement for the Windstar. The Mercury Monterey was introduced in 2004 as well and discontinued after the 2006 model year. Beginning with 2006 Freestar and Monterey models, design changes were made to the door trim panels and the side airbags to improve occupant protection in side impact crashes, and the side airbags were made standard in all Monterey models.
Two tests of a 2006 Freestar were conducted, one with optional side airbags for the driver and rear passenger, and one without. These vehicles are rated separately, except that the structural ratings for both vehicles are based on both tests.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that serious neck injuries would be possible in a crash of this severity. The risk of significant injuries to other body regions is low.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof and a side airbag that deployed from the seat.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the side airbags and damage to the occupant compartment.
- Action shot taken during the side impact crash test showing the driver dummy's head was protected from being hit by hard structures by the side curtain and side torso airbags.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy's head was protected by the side airbag.
- Side airbags: head curtain airbags for all three rows of seats with front seat-mounted torso airbags (optional in all Freestar models, standard in 2006 Monterey)
- Rollover sensor: designed to deploy the side curtain airbags, if equipped, in the event of an impending rollover
- Electronic stability control (optional)
- Antilock brakes
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2006 Ford Freestar SE
- Class: Minivan
- Weight: 4,328 lbs.
- Side airbags: optional head curtain airbags for all three rows of seats and optional front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 121 in.
- Length: 201 in.
- Width: 76 in.
- Engine: 3.9 L V6
- EPA ratings: 18 mpg city | 24 mpg highway