Volkswagen Passat2006-10 models
MODERATE OVERLAP FRONT TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Volkswagen Passat was redesigned for the 2006 model year.
The frontal offset crash test ratings also apply to the station wagon version of the Passat, beginning with 2007 models, and the CC, a variant of the Passat sedan with a lower roofline and frameless side windows, beginning with 2009 models. The Passat sedan and wagon were discontinued after the 2010 model year but not the CC.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement was well controlled. During rebound, the dummy’s head hit the roof rail and grab handle.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity. Head acceleration from the roof rail/grab handle hit was low.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the frontal offset crash test.
- The dummy's position in relation to the steering wheel and instrument panel after the crash test indicates that the driver's survival space was maintained well.
- Smeared greasepaint above the dummy's head indicates where the head hit the roof rail and grab handle during rebound. Head accelerations from these hits were low.
- Intrusion into the driver's space was minimal, and all leg and foot injury measures were low.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags and front seat-mounted torso airbags (standard); rear seat-mounted torso airbags (optional)
- Electronic stability control
- Antilock brakes
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4-door
- Class: Midsize moderately priced car
- Weight: 3,435 lbs.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags and front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 107 in.
- Length: 188 in.
- Width: 72 in.
- Engine: 2.0 L turbocharged 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 22 mpg city | 31 mpg highway