Toyota Sienna2005 models built after February 2005
SIDE IMPACT TEST WITHOUT OPTIONAL SIDE AIRBAGS
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Toyota Sienna was redesigned for the 2004 model year. Beginning with 2005 models manufactured after February 2005, changes were made to the vehicle side structure and to the optional side torso airbags to improve occupant protection in side impact crashes (note: information about when a specific vehicle was manufactured is on the certification label typically affixed to the car on or near the driver door). Beginning with 2006 models, side airbags were made standard.
Two tests of a 2005 Sienna were conducted, one with optional side airbags for the driver and rear passenger, and one without. Both were manufactured after the structural and airbag modifications had been made. These vehicles are rated separately, except that the structural ratings for both vehicles are based on both tests.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that serious neck injuries would be possible in a crash of this severity. The risk of significant injuries to other body regions is low.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The intruding barrier came close to the dummy's head in this test. Although the barrier did not hit the head, this near miss indicates that only slightly different crash circumstances could produce a direct hit to a person's head.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was hit by the pillar behind the rear passenger door. This pillar is required by federal standard to provide some protection for occupants' heads.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the damage to the occupant compartment.
- Action shot taken during the side impact crash test showing the driver dummy's head leaning well outward and approaching the crash test barrier.
- View of the rear dummy after the crash test. The head was hit by the pillar behind the door during the crash.
- Side airbags: head curtain airbags for all three rows of seats with front seat-mounted torso airbags (optional)
- Electronic stability control (optional)
- Antilock brakes
- Daytime running lights (optional)
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2005 Toyota Sienna LE
- Class: Minivan
- Weight: 4,233 lbs.
- Side airbags: none
- Wheelbase: 119 in.
- Length: 200 in.
- Width: 77 in.
- Engine: 3.3 L V6
- EPA ratings: 19 mpg city | 26 mpg highway