Volvo S602005-09 models
SIDE IMPACT TEST
|Injury measures||Head protection||Structure/safety cage|
Important: Side impact crash test ratings can be compared across vehicle type and weight categories.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Volvo S60 was introduced in the 2001 model year. Beginning with 2005 models, changes were made to the front seats and to the front-seat mounted torso airbags to improve occupant protection in side impact crashes.
Driver — Measures taken from the dummy indicate that a fracture of the pelvis would be possible in a crash of this severity. The risk of significant injuries to other body regions is low.
Rear passenger — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.
Driver — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Rear passenger — The dummy's head was protected from being hit by any hard structures, including the intruding barrier, by a side curtain airbag that deployed from the roof.
Left to right:
- View of the vehicle and barrier just after the crash test.
- View of the vehicle after the crash with doors removed, showing the side airbags and damage to the occupant compartment.
- Action shot taken during the side impact crash test showing the driver dummy's head was protected from being hit by hard structures by the side curtain airbag.
- Smeared greasepaint shows where the rear passenger dummy's head was protected by the side airbag.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags and front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Built-in child restraint (optional)
- Electronic stability control (standard beginning with 2007 models, optional on 2005-06 models)
- Antilock brakes
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2005 Volvo S60 2.5T
- Class: Midsize luxury/near luxury car
- Weight: 3,515 lbs.
- Side airbags: standard front and rear head curtain airbags and standard front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 107 in.
- Length: 180 in.
- Width: 71 in.
- Engine: 2.5 L turbocharged 5-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 21 mpg city | 30 mpg highway